Importance. The problem of significant differentiation between some territories and subjects of the Arctic zone of the Russian Federation creates threats to the long-term geopolitical and intra-economic interests of Russia. To develop an effective state policy for the development of Arctic territories it is necessary to analyze the socio-economic differentiation of the subjects of the Arctic zone. Such an analysis will make it possible to identify the most urgent and acute problems of the regions, as well as to choose areas that require urgent action. In this regard, the article examines not only the socioeconomic differentiation of the Arctic regions of Russia, but also the consequences of attempts to reduce it without taking into account the internal potential of each subject. Objectives. Study of the spatial differentiation of socioeconomic development of the Arctic regions to identify problems and trends in their development. Methods. In the process of research a systematic approach and methods of statistical analysis were applied. Results. The analysis was done and the estimation of social and economic differentiation between subjects of the Arctic zone of the Russian Federation was made. Despite the huge importance of the Arctic zone in the development of Russia, the socio-economic development of its subjects is slow. The abundance of natural resource potential has led to a slowdown in the development of industries not related to the extraction of natural resources in which the region specializes. Application area. The main provisions of the results of the study can be used by the state authorities of the Russian Federation in determining the strategy for the development of the regions of the Arctic zone. Conclusions and Relevance. As for the macroregion, there is a significant differentiation in the level of social and economic development of the subjects of the federation of the Arctic zone. A highly specialized resource-producing economy has been formed here, the role of the manufacturing industry is very small and it is a factor in the instability of the development of the regions. To overcome this situation, it is necessary to coordinate and concentrate efforts of federal and regional state authorities and business bodies working in the Arctic
Keywords: Arctic, Arctic regions, interregional differentiation
- Gavrilko G.N. E'konomicheskaya differenciaciya evropejskix regionov i social'naya politika [Economic differentiation of European regions and social policy]. Belarus' i mirovye e'konomicheskie processy: sbornik nauchnyx statej = Belarus and world economic processes: a collection of scientific articles. 2009. № 6. P. 134-143.
- Trotskovskii A.Ya., Mishchenko I.V. Issledovanie prostranstvennykh transformatsii v khozyaistvennoi sisteme regiona [Investigation of spatial transformations in the economic system of the region]. Izvestiya Altaiskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta = News of Altai State University. 2015. № 2 (86) volume 1. P. 181-187.
- Domanitskii A.A. Mezhregional'naya differentsiatsiya ekonomicheskogo razvitiya regionov Severa i problema ee regulirovaniya [Interregional Differentiation of Economic Development of the North Regions and the Problem of Its Regulation]. Biznes v zakone. Ekonomiko-yuridicheskii zhurnal = Business in the Law. Economic and legal journal. 2014. № 5. P. 315-319.
- Anosov A.V. Sotsial'no ekonomicheskaya differentsiatsiya Dal'nevostochnykh regionov Rossii [Socio-economic differentiation of the Far Eastern regions of Russia]. - Moscow, 2010. 298 p.
- Kireev A. A. Problemy preobrazovaniya sotsial'no-ekonomicheskogo prostranstva. Mezhdu ideologiei i naukoi [Problems of transformation of socio-economic space. Between ideology and science]. Prostranstvennaya ekonomika = Spatial Economics. 2015. № 3. P. 16-33.
- Podoplekin A.O. Pribrezhnye regiony rossiiskoi Arktiki v «novykh ekonomicheskikh realiyakh»: sotsial'noe polozhenie i etnopoliticheskaya situatsiya v Arkhangel'skoi oblasti v 2014-2016 gg. [Coastal regions of the Russian Arctic in the "new economic realities": the social situation and the ethnopolitical situation in the Arkhangelsk region in 2014-2016]. Sovremennaya nauchnaya mysl' = Modern scientific thought. 2017. No. 1. P. 217-224.
- Katorin I.V., Churakov A.A. Problemy i perspektivy razvitiya arkticheskikh regionov (po materialam ekspertnogo oprosa) [Problems and prospects for the development of the Arctic regions (based on the expert survey)]. Arktika i Sever = Arktika i Sever. 2015. № 19. P. 71-80.
- Larchenko L.V., Kolesnikov R.A. Razvitie resursnykh tsentrov Yamalo-Nenetskogo avtonomnogo okruga, spetsializiruyushchikhsya na dobyche uglevodorodov [Development of resource centers of the Yamal-Nenets Autonomous District, specializing in the production of hydrocarbons]. Innovatsii = Innovations. 2016. № 1 (207). P. 79-84.
- Zharov V.S., Ivanova M.V. Problemy upravleniya sotsial'no-ekonomicheskim razvitiem regionov Arktiki [Problems of managing the socio-economic development of the Arctic regions]. Vestnik Murmanskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta = Bulletin of the Murmansk State Technical University. 2015. №3. P.393-400.
- Leksin V.N., Porfil'ev B.N. Nauchnyi i institutsional'nyi potentsial kompleksnogo razvitiya rossiiskoi Arktiki v sredne- i dolgosrochnoi perspective [Scientific and Institutional Potential of Integrated Development of the Russian Arctic in the Middle and Long-Term Perspective]. Problemy prognozirovaniya = Problems of Forecasting. 2015. № 6. P. 58-66.
- Baklanov P.Ya., Moshkov A.V. Prostranstvennaya differentsiatsiya struktury ekonomiki regionov arkticheskoi zony Rossii [Spatial differentiation of the structure of the economy of the regions of the Arctic zone of Russia]. Ekonomika regiona = The Economy of the Region. 2015. № 1. P. 53-63.
- Zubkova M.L. Otsenka urovnya vneshneekonomicheskoi bezopasnosti Murmanskogo regiona [Estimation of the level of foreign economic security of the Murmansk region]. Vestnik Murmanskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta = Bulletin of the Murmansk State Technical University. 2011. № 2 (14). Pp. 441-446.
- Ryazantseva M.V. Prognozirovanie sotsial'no-ekonomicheskogo razvitiya Murmanskoi oblasti na 2017-2019 gody [Forecasting socio-economic development of the Murmansk region for 2017-2019]. Ekonomika i predprinimatel'stvo = Economics and Entrepreneurship. 2017. No. 2-2 (79-2). Art. 244-247.
- Razvitie finansovoi sistemy v usloviyakh modernizatsii ekonomiki Rossii: kollektivnaya monografiya [Development of the financial system in the context of modernization of the Russian economy: a collective monograph]. Tambov: Izd-vo TROO «Biznes-Nauka-Obshchestvo». 2013. 250 p.
- Borodin A., Shash N. Disbalansy razvitiya i byudzhetnye riski regionov [Developmental disparities and budgetary risks of regions]. Ekonomist = Economist. 2015. No. 10. P. 69-77.
- Tatarkin A.I. Regional'naya napravlennost' ekonomicheskoi politiki Rossiiskoi Federatsii kak instituta prostranstvennogo obustroistva territorii [Regional orientation of the economic policy of the Russian Federation as an institution for spatial development of territories]. Ekonomika regiona = Economy of the region. 2016. No. 12 (1). P. 9-27.
- Chernova S.A., Adzhieva L.A. Byudzhetno-nalogovaya politika regiona kak faktor sotsial'no-ekonomicheskogo razvitiya territorii [The fiscal and fiscal policy of the region as a factor of social and economic development of territories]. Ekonomicheskii analiz: teoriya i praktika = Economic analysis: theory and practice. 2012. No. 42-297. Pp. 58-64.
- Suleimanov M. M. Rol' nalogovogo federa lizma v formirovanii byudzhetnogo potentsiala territorii [The role of tax feder- alism in the formation of the budget potential of territories]. Finansy = Finances. 2011. № 8. P. 78-79.
- Kolomak E. Neravnomernoe prostranstvennoe razvitie v Rossii: ob"yasneniya novoi ekonomicheskoi geografii [Uneven spatial development in Russia: explanations of a new economic geography]. Voprosy ekonomiki = Economic issues. 2013. № 2. P. 132-150.
- Valentei S.D., Bakhtizin A.R., Bukhval'd E. M., Kol'chugina N.V. Trendy razvitiya rossiiskikh regionov [Trends of the development of Russian regions]. Ekonomika regiona = Economy of the region. 2014. No. 3. P. 9-22.
- Larchenko L.V. Development of oil and gas producing regions of the North in the conditions of falling oil prices // Innovations. 2015. № 7 (201). C.95-98.
- Larchenko L. V., Kolesnikov R. A. The Development of the Russian Oil and Gas Industry in Terms of Sanctions and Falling Oil Pric// International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, 2017, 7(2), P. 352-359.