Development of an innovative sector of the economy largely depends on the ability to attract investments for business start-ups. That is why, crowdfunding is becoming more popular today. However, this fast-growing market is still being shaped, and calls for further studies of its development and influence on the whole process. The purpose of this paper is to analyze a Kickstarter platform — one of the world’s largest crowdfunding sites — as well as present the evolution of its venture capital segment. The latter information cannot be found in the whole range of works by different authors, who based their studies on earlier available data. An assumption is also made on causes for the development of the aforementioned segment. The results of a statistical analysis, conducted for Russian crowdfunding platforms — Boomstarter and Planeta, and compared to the Kickstarter data, allow to evaluate the development of Russian crowdfunding from a venture perspective.
Keywords: краудфандинг, Kickstarter, Boomstarter, Planeta, новые венчурные инструменты, стартапы.
- Annual research of the market of angel investments. Research. OJSC Russian Venture Company, 2014. 23 p. (in Russian)
- Navigator of the venture market. Overview of Russian Venture Industry in 2014. Analytical review. OJSC Russian Venture Company, 2015. 24 p. (in Russian)
- Equity and Venture Capital Investments. 9 month of the year 2015 . Market Review. OJSC Russian Venture Company, 2015. 149 p. (in Russian)
- Corporate venture capital investments in Russia: state and prospects (2014-2015 years). Research. OJSC Russian Venture Company, 2014. 48 p. (in Russian)
- Chronology of the sanctions against Russian citizens and companies. RIA Novosti, 2015. (in Russian) Available at: http://ria.ru/spravka/20150216/1046144422.html (accessed 17.02.2016)
- Ammosov, YU. (2014) Four mobility: Challenges Russia in 2015–2030. Report. Analytical Centre under the Government of Russia. 76 p. (in Russian)
- Adapting and evolving. Global venture capital insights and trends 2014. Analytical Report. Earnst&Young, 2014, 28 p.
- Barnett, C. (2015). Trends Show Crowdfunding To Surpass VC In 2016. Forbes. Available at: http://www.forbes.com/sites/chancebarnett/2015/06/09/trends-show-crowdfunding-to-surpass-vc-in-2016/#2edbf9c3444b (accessed 17.02.2016)
- Wilson, K. E. and Testoni, M. (2014) The crowdfunding phenomenon- looking beyond the hype. Bruegel. Available at: http://www.bruegel.org/nc/blog/detail/article/1330-the-crowdfunding-phenomenon (accessed 17.02.2016)
- The Market of crowdfinance in Russia: Crowdfunding, Crowdinvesting, Crowdlanding. Analytical report. J'son & Partners Consulting, 2015. (in Russian) Available at: http://json.tv/ict_telecom_analytics_view/rynok-kraudfinansov-v-rf-kraudfanding-kraudinvesting-kraudlending-20150121044017 (accessed 17.02.2016)
- Kuppuswamy, V., Bayus, B.L., (2013) Crowdfunding creative ideas: the dynamics of project backers in kickstarter. UNC Kenan-Flagler Research Paper No. 2013-15.
- Poetz, M., Schreier, M., (2012) The value of crowdsourcing: can users really compete with professionals in generating new product ideas. Journal of Product Innovation Management. 29 (2), 245-256.
- Mollick, E, Kuppuswamy, V. (2014) After the Campaign: Outcomes of Crowdfunding. UNC Kenan-Flagler Research Paper No. 2376997
- Barnett, C. (2015) Crowdfunding sites in 2014. Forbes. Available at: http://www.forbes.com/sites/chancebarnett/2014/08/29/crowdfunding-sites-in-2014/#16d2ae304ad5 (accessed 17.02.2016)
- Mollick, E. (2013) The Dynamics of Crowdfunding: Determinants of Success and Failure. Journal of business Venturing. 29, 1-16.
- Cordova,A. , Dolci, J., Gianfrante, G. (2015) The determinants of crowdfunding success: evidence from technology projects. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences. 181, 115 – 124.
- The Global Startup Ecosystem Ranking 2015. Analytical Report. Startup Compass Inc., 2015. 153 p.
- Moe, W. W., Fader, P. S. (2002) Using Advance Purchase Orders to Forecast New Product Sales. Marketing Science. 21(3), 347–364.
- Klich, T. (2015). VC 100: The Top Investors in Early-Stage Startups.
Entrepreneur, Available at: http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/242702 (accessed 17.02.2016)
- Strickler, Y. (2011). Shortening the Maximum Project Length. Kickstarter Blog. Available at: https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/shortening-the-maximum-project-length (accessed 17.02.2016)
- Dokshina, M. (2014). Boomstarter under the eye of journalists. Media review. BOOMSTARTER Blog, (in Russian) Available at: https://boomstarter.ru/blog/111 (accessed 17.02.2016)
- Il’in, YU. (2013). Ruslan Tugushev, Boomstarter: «The money flow to the successful projects». Computerra. (in Russian) Available at: http://www.computerra.ru/51990/boomstarter/ (accessed 17.02.2016)