The paper analyzes the features of corporate venture financing. The features of corporate and classic venture capital investments are shown. The analysis of the organizational forms of venture capital funds and the analysis of the organizational and legal forms of startups in Russia. Together, this allows to insights of the legal aspects of the syndicate of venture investors. The paper shows the various motives and aspects of financing startups with the participation of VCs and CVC, which reflect the complementarity of such a syndicate. The main advantages of corporate and classic venture capital funds are shown. For CVC the benefits can be expressed by the following three points: technological know-how; market entry strategy; examination of the subject area. For VCs the benefits can be reflected in the following aspects: focus on high financial results of a startup; legal and reputational benefits of the CVC from CVs Alliance; the relatively low sensitivity of the strategic course of the classic venture capital fund from changes in the macroeconomic environment
Keywords: innovation project, venture capital investments, technology entrepreneur, venture capital fund (VCs), corporate venture capital (CVC), investor syndicate
- V. Kosteev, A. Nikitchenko, E. Pikuleva, N. Bobkova. Corporate Venture Investments in Russia: Status and Prospects (2014-2015). M.: NP «Club of Directors on Science and Innovations», 2014.
- A. I. Kashirin, A. S. Semenov. Innovative business: venture and business angel investment. M.: Case, 2010.
- A. S. Trufkin. Features of strategic alliances of transnational corporations at the present stage. M.: MaxPress, 2010.
- G. Chesbro. Open Innovation. M.: Generation, 2007.
- D. D. Tsiteladze. Venture capital as a factor in the development of the economy of innovative territorial clusters//Innovative development of the economy. 2016. № 5 (35). Part 2. P. 79-91.
- D. D. Tsiteladze. Ways to solve the problems of financing innovative projects of the early stages in Russia//Innovations. 2012. № 1 (159). P. 15-22.
- H. Lebre. Startups. M.: Corporate publications, 2010.
- R. M. Yankovsky. Law startup. M.: Startup, 2017..
- J. B. Adam. Characterizing the Technological Position of Firms, with Application to Quantifying Technological Opportunity and Research Spillovers//Research Policy 18. 2, 1989. P. 87-97.
- H. Chesbrough, W. Vanhaverbeke, J. West (eds.). Open Innovation: Researching a New Paradigm, Oxford University Press, 2006.
- H. W. Chesbrough. Making sense of corporate venture capital//Harvard Business Review. V. 80 (3). 2002. P. 90-99.
- D. Cumming, N. Dai. Local bias in venture capital investments//Journal of Empirical Finance. 2010. Vol. 17. Issue 3. P. 362-380.
- D. Cumming, A. Knill, K. Syvrud. Do International Investors Enhance Private Firm Value? Evidence from Venture Capital//Journal of International Business Studies, 47 (3), 2016. P. 347-373.
- N. Dai, H. Jo, S. Kassicieh. Cross-Border Venture Capital Investments in Asia: Selection and Exit Performance//Journal of Business Venturing, 27 (6), 2012. P. 666-684.
- D. De Clercq, V. H. Fried, O. Lehtonen, H. J. Sapienza. An Entrepreneur’s Guide to the Venture Capital Galaxy//The Academy of Management Perspectives, 20 (3), 2006. P. 90-112.
- D. Devigne, T. Vanacker, S. Manigart, I. Paeleman. The Role of Domestic and Cross-Border Venture Capital Investors in the Growth of Portfolio Companies//Small Business Economics, 40 (3), 2013. P. 553-573.
- M. Fritsch, D. Schilder. Does Venture Capital Investment Really Require Spatial Proximity? An Empirical Investigation//Environment and Planning, 40 (9), 2008. P. 2114-2131.
- Global Corporate Venture Capital Survey 2008-2009. Ernst & Young. 2009. http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/SGM_VC_Global_corporate_survey_2008_2009/$FILE/SGM_VC_Global_corporate_survey_2008_2009.pdf.
- I. Guler, M. F. Guillen. Home Country Networks and Foreign Expansion: Evidence from the Venture Capital Industry//The Academy of Management Journal. 2010. Vol. 53 (2).P. 390-410.
- L. A. Jeng, P. C. Wells. The Determinants of Venture Capital Funding: Evidence across Countries//Journal of Corporate Finance, 6 (3), 2000. P. 241-289.
- Khondker, Habibul Haque. Glocalization as Globalization: Evolution of a Sociological Concept//Bangladesh e-Journal of Sociology, 1 (2), 2004. P. 12-20.
- K. Koschatzky, R. Sternberg. R&D Cooperation in Innovation Systems — Some Lessons from the European Regional Innovation Survey (ERIS)//European Planning Studies. 2000. Vol. 8. P. 487-501.
- S. Manigart, A. Lockett, M. Meuleman, M. Wright et al. Venture Capitalists’ Decision to Syndicate// Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice, 30 (2), 2006. P. 131-153.
- H. Mason, T. Rohner. The venture imperative: a new model for corporate innovation. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Publishing, 2002.
- M. V. Maula. Corporate venture capital and the value-added for technology-based firms. Doctoral dissertation. Institute of Strategy and International Business. Helsinki: Helsinki University of Technology, 2001.
- M. Maula, G. Murray. Complementary Value-Adding Roles of Corporate Venture Capital and Independent Venture Capital Investors//Journal of BioLaw and Business, 5 (2), 2002. P. 29-34.
- M. Maula, E. Autio, G. Murray. Corporate Venture Capitalists and Independent Venture Capitalists: What Do They Know, Who Do They Know and Should Entrepreneurs Care?// Venture Capital, 7 (1), 2005. P. 3-21.
- V. K. Narayanan, Yi. Yang, Sh. A. Zahra. Corporate venturing and value creation: A review and proposed framework//Research Policy. № 39. 1999. P. 58-76.
- E. Norton, B. H. Tenenbaum. Specialization versus diversification as a venture capital investment strategy//Journal of Business Venturing, 8, 1993. P. 431-442.
- S. A. Park, A. Joseph, J. Lipuma, S. S. Park. Concentrating Too Hard? Foreign and Corporate Venture Capital Involvement in Syndicates//Journal of Small Business Management, 2019, 57 (2). P. 327-342.
- V. Roudometof. Theorizing glocalization: Three interpretations//European Journal of Social Theory. 2016. Vol. 19 (3). P. 391-408.
- T. W. Tong, Y. Li. Real options and investment mode: Evidence from corporate venture capital and acquisition//Organization Science, 22, 2011. P. 659-674.
- V. Roudometof. Glocalization: A Critical Introduction. Routledge, 2016-06-10. 229 p.
- World Health Organization. https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019.
- Global CVC Report. 2019. CB Insights. https://www.cbinsights.com/research/report/corporate-venture-capital-trends-2017.
- Venture investments 2018: infographics. 2019. Incrussia. https://incrussia.ru/understand/info-grafika-venchurnye-investitsii-2018.