The future is created today, taking the form of cities. Today, as throughout human history, people strive to unite in order to have more opportunities for exchange - goods, services, ideas, best practices, for teaching each other, for the production of something new and useful, and finally, for joint joys and to protect each other. Cities are places where people can realize their ambitions, where hopes, aspirations and dreams become reality. And today, the dynamics and quality of urban development come to the forefront, and the competition of cities for talents and successful businesses is becoming more acute and obvious. There is an obvious demand for economic models of urban development, allowing to evaluate the conditions and successive successes of cities in following the path of development of the quality of life of citizens. This article proposes a model for assessing the sustainability of the growth of quality of life in the city, based on the logic of the pyramid of Maslow's needs. The following are brief results of measuring Moscow in accordance with this methodology
Keywords: sustainable development, cities, urban economics, quality of life, Maslow's pyramid of needs
- A. Allen, A. Lampis, M. Swilling. Untamed Urbanisms. New York, NY: Routledge, 2015.
- S. Angel, D. L. Parent, Making room for a planet of cities, 2011
- AT Kearney The Global Cities Index and Outlook. https://www.atkearney.com/global-cities/2019.
- H. Berking, M. Lцw. The intrinsic logic of cities: towards a new theory on urbanism, 2018.
- D. Brook. A History of Future Cities, 2016.
- R. Cervero, E. Guerra. Beyond mobility. Planning cities for people and places, 2017.
- Competitive cities for jobs and growth: who, what and how, World Bank, 2015. http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/902411467990995484/pdf/101546-REVISED-Competitive-Cities-for-Jobs-and-Growth.pdf.
- M. Degen, M. G. Cabeza. The Transformation of the ‘Barcelona Model’: An Analysis of Culture, Urban Regeneration and Governance, 2012, International Journal of Urban and Regional Research.
- Economist Intelligence Unit Liveability Index. https://www.eiu.com/topic/liveability.
- European cities: 2019 SDG Index and Dashboard Report. http://unsdsn.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Full-report_final-1.pdf
- K. Fikri, T. J. Zhu. City analytics, 2015. http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/323321467987876242/pdf/101718-REVISED-PUBLIC-CP1-Final-2.pdf.
- M.-D. Garcia-Ramon, A. Albet. Pre-Olympic and Post-Olympic Barcelona, a ‘Model’ for Urban Regeneration Today? 2000. Environment and Planning.
- E. Howard. Garden Cities of To-morrow, 1902. https://archive.org/details/gardencitiestom00howagoog/page/n12.
- J. Jacobs. The Death and Life of Great American Cities, 1961.
- T. Litman. Analysis of Public Policies that Unintentionally Encourage and Subsidize Sprawl, 2015. NCE Cities — sprawl subsidy report, the Global Commission on the Economy and Climate. https://newclimateeconomy.report/workingpapers/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2016/04/public-policies-encouragesprawl-nce-report.pdf.
- S. McQuire. Geomedia: Networked Cities and the Future of Public Space, 2016.
- Mercer Quality of Living City Ranking. https://mobilityexchange.mercer.com/Insights/quality-of-living-rankings.
- J. Monclus. The Barcelona model: An original formula? From 'reconstruction' to strategic urban projects (1979-2004), 2003, Planning Perspectives.
- Numbeo Quality of Life Index Rate. https://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-life/rankings.jsp .
- R. Puentes. Why Infrastructure Matters: Rotten Roads, Bum Economy. 2015.
- C. Ratti, M. Claudel. The City of Tomorrow: Sensors, Networks, Hackers, and the Future of Urban Life, 2016.
- M. Storper. Keys to the city: how economies, institutions, social interactions, and politics shape development, 2013.
- UN-Habitat City Prosperity Index. http://cpi.unhabitat.org.
- UN Department of economic and social affairs, news. https://www.un.org/development/desa/en/news/population/2018-revision-ofworld-urbanization-prospects.html.
- Upstream Planning For Sustainable Infrastructure Project, Urban 20 White Paper. http://www.urban20.org/item/ejes-y-documentosclave/U20_WP_Upstream_sustainable_infrastructure.pdf.
- Urbanization and development: Emerging Futures. World Cities Report, UN Habitat, 2016. https://unhabitat.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/WCR-%20Full-Report-2016.pdf.
- VLR Lab materials. https://www.iges.or.jp/en/sdgs/vlr/index.html.
- L. Wirth. Urbanism as a way of life, 1938.