The paper describes the key legal acts of the European Union, the United States, and China in the field of public procurement along with the key principles and incentives incorporated in the reviewed legal acts for encouraging domestic innovation through the public procurement. It is shown that there are no universal toolkits for encouraging domestic innovation through the public procurement and respective toolkits in different economies are different. The conclusion is drawn that the foreign evidence could be useful while reforming the public procurement in Russia, how-ever direct replication of foreign best practices without the Russian specific features being taken into account will not bring desirable results
Keywords: public procurement, government procurement, incentives for innovation, procurement procedures, procurement specifications, award criteria, environmental protection
- J. Edler, L. Georghiou. Public procurement and innovation – resurrecting the demand side. Research policy, 2007, No 36, P. 949–963.
- S.S. Shuvalov. Kontraktnaya sistema kak mekhanizm gosudarstvennogo regulirovaniya ekonomiki [Public procurement as a tool of government regulation of the economy]. Moscow. Institute of Economics RAS Publ., 2017, 224 p. (in Russian).
- A.I. Kashirin. Procurement of innovative products or procurement of innovations? Innovacii [Innovation], 2015, No 05 (199), P. 13–21 (in Russian).
- V.A. Kocyubinskij. Theoretical background and practical evidence of public procurement of innovative products. Innovacii [Innovation], 2016, No 06 (212), P. 78–82 (in Russian).
- Directive 2014/24/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 26 February 2014 on public procurement.
- Directive 2014/25/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 26 February 2014 on procurement by entities operating in the water, energy, transport and postal services sectors.
- Code of Federal Regulation. Title 48. Federal Acquisition Regulation.
- The Government Procurement Law of the People’s Republic of China of 29 June 2002.
- National Reforms and Development Commission, Ministry of Science and Technology, and Ministry of Finance Trial Administrative Measures on the Accreditation of National Indigenous Innovation Products (Circular 618).
- E.J. Epstein. China Advisory: What Next in China’s Indigenous Innovation Program? Available at: https://www.troutman.com/chinaadvisory07122010.
- B. Baden. Domestic Innovation and Government Procurement Policies. China Business Review, October 1, 2011.
- I.I. Smotrickaya. New economic strategy requires new quality of public governance. Vestnik Instituta ekonomiki RAN [The Herald of the Institute of Economics RAS], 2017, No 5, P. 7–22 (in Russian).