The article is devoted to the analysis of the modern state of Russian scientific-technological area including identification of its most problematic areas. Such problematic areas include but are not limited, to disproportions in funding of research from different sources, volumes and ways it is distributed; misbalanced age structure of researchers in Russia; ineffective use of the material basis for research; disconnection between research and its commercial applications. The identified problems are further analyzed in the context of government science and technology policy measures aimed at solving these problems. It is shown that the biggest attention was given to enhancing of visibility of Russian science through its publication record; to structural reforms including support of research in universities and changing the status of the Russian Academy of sciences followed by detaching of research institutes from academic system and transferring them to the auspices of the Ministry of science and higher education. A special attention is given to recently initiated National project «Science». It is demonstrated that government plans are aimed at meeting grand challenges and making big technological breakthroughs. However, the policy mix barely takes into account the current state of the scientific and technological potential and its structural problems. Therefore, existing disproportions may become even more severe. It is also shown that when policy is oriented towards various international ratings it may lead to perverse incentives within the scientific community and beyond its borders
Keywords: science, science policy, technology development, funding, workforce, reforms, Russia
- Andrushak G. Science and commerce // Kommersant, 13.08.2018. https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/3712714
- Dezhina I. State of science and innovations // Russian Economy in 2017. Trends and Prospects (issue 39). – М.: Gaidar Institute, 2018. pp.478-502.
- Demina N. Scientists and officials: is dialogue possible? // Troitskiy variant - nauka, no.243, 05.12.2017. https://trv-science.ru/2017/12/05/uchenye-i-chinovniki-dialog-vozmozhen/
- Dependence of industry of the RF from import have grown up to 93%. https://news.rambler.ru/other/39075664-zavisimost-promyshlennosti-rf-ot-importa-vyrosla-do-93/
- Science indicators: 2018. Statistical yearbook. М.: HSE, 2018.
- Maksimov G. There will be less scientists in Russia. RAS workers come out to meeting in Moscow. 23.06.2017. http://fedpress.ru/news/77/society/1808890
- Mamedyarov Z. Americans reached the top // Expert, no.26, 25.06.2018. http://expert.ru/expert/2018/26/amerikantsyi-pokorili-vershinu/
- Martynova S., Tarasenko M. Average monthly salary of workers in scientific organizations by positions: January-June 2018. Express-information “Science. Technologies. Innovations”. 13.09.2018. М.: HSE. https://issek.hse.ru/news/223448297.html
- Microeconomics of export. Rating of biggest exporters of Russia. Special report. // Expert, no.39, 24.09.2018. http://expert.ru/expert/2018/39/mikroekonomika-eksporta/
- Minobr will not give money to universities of 5-top 100 accused in self-citations // Indicator.ru, 17.05.2017. https://indicator.ru/news/2017/05/17/vuzy-5-100-samocitirovanie/
- National Report on Innovations in Russia - 2016. Minec, Open government, RVC, 2017.
- National Report on Innovations in Russia - 2017. Minec, Open government, RVC, 2018.
- Program “Digital Economy of the Russian Federation”. Approved by the government order no.1632-р, 28.07.2017. http://static.government.ru/media/files/9gFM4FHj4PsB79I5v7yLVuPgu4bvR7M0.pdf
- Regulations of interaction between RAS and Minobrnauki are at final stages of negotiations. 11.09.2018 г. https://tass.ru/vef-2018/articles/5551403
- Rubtsov A. Doubling reality: how Russian science is pushed to produce imitations // RBC, 30.01.2018. https://www.rbc.ru/opinions/politics/30/01/2018/5a702b549a794769102a5a0c
- Sadykova R. RAS reform is acknowledged to be a failure: FASO is widening, institutes are evicted. 23.02.2017. http://www.mk.ru/science/2017/02/23/reforma-ran-priznana-provalnoy-fano-rasshiryaetsya-instituty-vyselyayut.html
- Skorobogatyi P. Who will give money on perpetuum-mobile // Expert, no.45, 2017. http://expert.ru/expert/2017/45/kto-dast-deneg-na-perpetuum-mobile/
- Sterligov I., Hodger T. Glance at science from prism of solo-articles // Science dimensions, no.2, 2017. https://okna.hse.ru/news/212247840.html
- Presidential Order “About Strategy of scientific-technological development of the Russian Federation”, no.642, 01.12.2016.
- Federal Law from 19.07.2018 no.218-FZ “About changes in the Federal Law ‘About the Russian Academy of Sciences, reorganization of state academies of sciences and introduction of changes in selected legal acts of the Russian Federation”
- Forming new instruments. Annual report 2016. М.: RVC, August 2017. http://www.rvc.ru/upload/iblock/150/Report_RVC_2016.pdf
- Fridlyanova S.Innovations in Russia: dynamics of the major indicators. Express-information “Science. Technologies. Innovations”. М.: HSE, 26.09.2018. https://issek.hse.ru/data/2018/09/26/1153998102/NTI_N_103_26092018.pdf.pdf
- Digital Russia: New Reality. Alexander Aptekman, Vadim Kalabin, Vitaly Klintsov, etc. Digital/ McKinsey. July 2017. file:///D:/Libraries/Downloads/Digital-Russia-report.pdf
- Avanesova A., Shamliyan T. Comparative trends in research performance of the Russian universities // Scientometrics, June 14, 2018. DOI: 10.1007/s11192-018-2807-6
- Dezhina I. Russian-French Scientific Collaboration: Approaches and Mutual Attitudes // Sociology of Science and Technology, 2018, no.1. pp. 101-115.
- Kolata G. Many Academics Are Eager to Publish in Worthless Journals // The New York Times, 30.10.2017. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/30/science/predatory-journals-academics.html
- Leydesdorff L., Bornmann L., Wagner C. The relative influences of government funding and international collaboration on citation impact (13 Dec 2017). https://arxiv.org/abs/1712.04659
- Nature Editorial. Science without walls is good for all // Nature, vol. 550, 5 October 2017. P.7-8. https://www.nature.com/news/science-without-walls-is-good-for-all-1.22742
- OECD (2017), OECD Science, Technology and Industry Scoreboard 2017: The digital transformation, OECD Publishing, Paris.
- OECD (2018), Main Science and Technology Indicators Volume 2018 Issue 1, OECD Publishing, Paris. DOI: 10.1787/msti-v2018-1-en
- Poldin O., Matveeva N., Sterligov I., Yudkevich M. 2017. Publication Activities of Russian Universities: The Effects of Project 5-100. Educational Studies, Higher School of Economics, issue 2.
- Readiness for the Future of Production Report 2018. WEF in Collaboration with A.T.Kearney. http://www3.weforum.org/docs/FOP_Readiness_Report_2018.pdf
- Rehm J. Ten Years after the Economic Crash, R&D Funding is Better than Ever. Nature, September 13, 2018. doi: 10.1038/d41586-018-06634-4